Compliments, Comments and Complaints

If you have a complaint about the service you have received from any member of staff working in the practice, please let us know. The practice operates a Complaints Procedure as part of the NHS system for dealing with complaints. Our complaints system meets national criteria. Note: if you make a complaint it is practice policy to ensure you are not discriminated against, or subjected to any negative effect on your care, treatment or support.

How to Complain
In the first instance please discuss your complaint with the staff member concerned. Where the issue cannot be resolved at this stage, please contact Sharon Beetson Practice Manager/ Michelle Vernall Assistant Manager who will try to resolve the issue and offer you further advise on the complaints procedure. If your problem cannot be resolved at this stage and you wish to make a formal complaint, please let us know as soon as possible, ideally within a matter of days. This will enable the practice to get a clear picture of the circumstances surrounding the complaint.
If it is not possible to raise your complaint immediately, please let us have details of your complaint within the following timescales:
within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem


Within 12 months from when the complaint comes to your notice.
The Practice will acknowledge your complaint within three working days.
The Practice will arrange a meeting with you to discuss the complaint, to agree with you how the complaint is going to be investigated and the timescales for this to be completed.
When the practice looks into your complaint it aims to :
Ascertain the full circumstances of the complaint
Make arrangements for you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this
Make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate
Identify what the practice can do to make sure the problem does not happen again.

Complaining On Behalf of Someone Else
Please note that the surgery keeps strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, the practice needs to know that you have their permission to do so. A signed consent note by the person concerned will be required, unless they are incapable of providing this due to illness or disability.
Complaining to Other Authorities
The Practice management team hope that if you have a problem you will use the Practice Complaints Procedure. However, if you feel you cannot raise your complaint with us, you can contact any of the following 4 bodies;

North Staffordshire Clinical Commissioning Group
Smithfield One Building, Leonard Coates Way, Stoke on Trent, ST1 4FA
Tel: 08456026772

Contacting the Care Quality Commission
If you have a genuine concern about a staff member or regulated activity carried out by this Practice then you can contact the Care Quality Commission on 03000 616161, or alternatively visit the following website:

PALS, ICAS & Ombudsman

Patient Advisory Liaison Service (PALS)
PALS provide a confidential service designed to help patients get the most from the NHS. PALS can tell you more about the NHS complaints procedure and may be able to help you resolve your complaint informally.

NHS Midlands and Lancashire Commissioning Support Unit, Anglesey House, Anglesey Court, Wheelhouse Road, Rugeley.  WS15 1UL  
Freephone: 0800 030 4563   Text: 075 406 68541  Fax: 01782 298228

NHS Complaints Advocacy Service
This is a national service that supports people who want to make a complaint about their NHS Care or treatment. Your local service can be found on the following Web Address: 

If you are not happy with the response from this practice, you can refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman who investigates complaints about the NHS in England.
You can call the Ombudsman’s Complaints Helpline on 0345 015 4033 or or Textphone (Minicom): 0300 061 4298